Friday, January 25, 2013

Chivalry is dead!

Is chivalry dead?  According to Mary Beth Bonacci it is!  Recently while driving to work I was listening to Relevant radio and the discussion on chivalry.  Let's start with the definition of chivalry:

According to Dictionary.com chivalry has 5 meanings:


1.
the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms.
2.
the rules and customs of medieval knighthood.
3.
the medieval system or institution of knighthood.
4.
a group of knights.
5.
gallant warriors or gentlemen: fair ladies and noble chivalry




Okay so none of these means were really what I was looking for but they do give us some insight on the history of chivalry. So lets dig a little deeper.  Chivalry began as a trend during the medieval and middle ages because of all the  fighting that was going on. It was thought that a real knight should work to protect the women and children.  Women are a sacred vessel of life.  We women are the only ones who can carry life. That in turn makes us special.  Now in the middle ages women were considered weaker, hence why they did not go off to war etc. and the men needed to protect them.  

In modern times it is different.  According to Mary Beth it is all about showing women respect.  Sadly with the new age of women feeling they need to be treated like men and be equal this is slowing dying.  To me this is very sad. Women feel the need to be just like men to feel we are equals.  Yes there are places where we should be equal.  Equal for the same job well done is one.  However we women will never be equal to men for one good reason.  As said before we are the carriers of life.  Men will never do this.  They couldn't handle it anyways. Recently I watched a Yahoo video of two men from the Netherlands who were hooked up to a machine that caused their stomach muscles to flex and contract to feel contractions/labor.  One of the two men had to be gassed and ended up quitting.  I have not had a baby yet but I don't think quitting is an option.  

As I continued to listen to the radio program I learned that there are now women in this world that are offended when a man or their date opens a door or pulls out a chair.  Seriously offended?  I would think you should be feeling honored to be treated with such respect.   

I guess what I am trying to sum up here is that I don't want to see chivalry die in today's society.  I hope my husband reads this and knows to keep opening doors for me etc.  If that means we are the last couple in the world so be it.  My sons will learn these social graces.  My daughters will be taught to only date boys with this type of social code.  No matter how hard we try we will always be women and not men.  We are not equal!  And as my husband and I begin to think of starting a family I am so glad we are not the same.  Maybe I am being a little selfish but I cannot wait to be the barrier of new life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment