Monday, July 14, 2014

FCCLA Nationals

This past week I had the privilege of taking one of my students to FCCLA National Leadership Conference in San Antonio, TX.  This is the 4th year our school has attended and I am super proud to announce our first gold medal!



For those of you who do not know what FCCLA is let me back up.  FCCLA stands for Family Career and Community Leaders of America.  It used to be the Future Homemakers of America.  It now considers careers in the field of Home Economics.  Any student in a Home Economics/Family Consumer Science class can participate in STAR Events which are the name of the competitive events.  My particular student participated in Early Childhood.  In a nut shell she had to have a box that had materials in it and then had a half hour to write a lesson plan.  Then she had to present the lesson as if there were small children there to receive the lesson.  She also had to create a binder and have proof of child care experience reflections on her abilities to work with children. 

San Antonio was amazing!  We went to Sea World on the first day and Schlitterbahn the next. Later in the week we went to Six Flags.  We had four great days of workshops and networking.  I learned a lot about fundraising and activities to do with my FCCLA group next year.

I am so proud of my students and in particular the student who went to Nationals.  She will be going to college next year to do even greater things!

No comments:

Post a Comment