Sunday, September 18, 2011

Let me be your Servent

Will you let me be your servant
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I might have the grace
To let me be your servant too

We are pilgrims on the journey
We are brothers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load

I will hold the Christ light for you
In the night time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven
We shall find such harmony
Born to all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony
     

This song was sung today as gifts were brought up during Mass.  I cannot stop thinking of some of the lines and what it means to be a married couple.  I think about how I must serve my husband (hear me out I know this is not the 1950s). 

We are meant to help each other in a variety of capacities.  Sometimes I have a bad day and sometimes he does, and some evenings one of us has to take on more duties in the home to give the other a break. I feel as a wife it is my duty to serve my husband.  However it is his job to serve me as well.  I make dinner, but dishes are his job! 

Aside from chores and we must serve each other spiritually.  We hold each other accountable for making time with God.  We both make sure we pray before we eat and in the evenings.  We attend church as a family.  We are supposed to help each other get to heaven. That is the true purpose of a marriage.

The line "I will weep when you are weeping" really caught my attention.  A year before we were married my dad passed away, something my family never saw coming.  Matt was great.  During the wake he made sure I ate and drank.  He never left my side for weeks, staying at my apartment  because I had nightmares (I know that is a big no no but trust me it was more for my sanity of not being alone since I lived alone).  At the funeral, after pallbearers put the casket in the Hearse he climbed into our car and burst into tears.  Seeing me in the pain that I was in broke him.  It wasn't fair that my my mom died when I was a child or that my dad died a year before my wedding.  Matt wept for me. 
Matt staying with me during those weeks also reminds me of the lines:

I will hold the Christ light for you
In the night time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the the peace you long to hear.


He showed me dedication in good times and bad way before our wedding day.  He served me when I needed him most in my life.  He is an example of a true servant.  On our wedding day, Matt's best man made the comment that Matt is a loyal friend.  Not only is he a loyal friend, but he is also a loyal husband.  I cannot imagine how I would have gotten through that tough time without him to serve me.

No comments:

Post a Comment