Thursday, October 2, 2014

Big week of feasts! How will you celebrate?

This week was a big week of feasts for the Catholic church.  

Feast of the Arc Angels- September 29
Monday started with the feasts of the arc angels, Micheal, Raphael and Gabriel.  My personal favorite is Gabriel.  In my parish we have a beautiful non-traditional statue of our Blessed Mother.  She is on one needed staring up in awe.  I have learned recently that this is a statue of Mary the second of Jesus' conception.  It was the moment she told the angel Gabriel yes.  I have always prayed to Mary three Hail Mary's at that statue for as long as I can remember after mass.  Now I see it in a whole new way.  As my husband and I work to conceive a child I look at that statue and say yes.  Yes to what God has planned for our family. Yes to children biological or adoption.  Yes to God's will in my life.  Today would be a great day to pray to these angels. Ask St. Michael to watch over your home and consider having your home blessed.  You could do this yourself with some holy water.  If you are working on God's will in your life or family consider praying to St. Gabriel.  

Saint Thérèse of Lisieux- October 1
According to saints.sqpn.com St. Therese was born of a middle class French family in the late 1800s. She had a great love for our Lord and knew that religious life was her vocation at a young age. 
 
She received several visions from God including being smiled at by the Blessed Virgin and cured of an illness and a vision of the child Jesus. She was confirmed at 11 and began making several attempts to join the Carmalites starting at age 14.  She finally entered at 15 and took her final vows at 17.  Sadly she died at 22 from tuberculosis.  She had a special "little way" about her.  She truly loved the Lord and focused her whole life on Jesus.  She is a Doctor of the Church due to her extensive writings on her love of Jesus. She is a great saint to pray to for special intentions and it is said that if after praying to her for your intention and you see red roses your prayer has been heard.  There are several novenas.  A good way to honor her is place some roses in your home to enjoy. 


Feast of the Guardian Angels- October 2
Today October 2 is the fest of the guardian angels.  All of us is assigned a guardian angel.  We should pray to this angel daily to protect us. Here is a common prayer:

Angel of God, My Guardian Dear, to whom His love commits me here, ever this day be at my side, to light and to guard, to rule and guide. Amen.


Teach your children this prayer. It is simple and easy and begin to use it as a nightly prayer.   


St. Francis of Assisi- October 4
Saturday October 4 is the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi. I could spend a whole other blog post on the amazing life of St. Francis of Assisi.  I have been on a pilgrimage related to his life, which helped my continued devotion to this saint. The quick story of his life is that he was a merchant son that did not want for anything and then had a conversion.  He had a vision in front of the San Damiano cross and was told by God to rebuild the church.  

He mistook this to mean the church he was currently in and not the Church.  As his time continued he and his followers began to take vows of poverty.  He is known for the famous saying "Preach the Gospel always, when necessary use words."  He also had the stigmata and it was said he could speak to animals.  On this day I am going to spend my day out in nature participating in a pro life bike ride.   You can sponsor me here: Bike for Life and then the family is meeting at a pumpkin patch.  Many churches offer pet blessings on this day.  I unfortunately do not have a pet but I have seen this event and it is so much fun.  I made puppy chow this week in honor of St. Francis. 

Puppy Chow: 
1/4 cup of butter
1 box of Chex Cereal (I used rice)
1 cup of chocolate chips
3/4 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of powdered sugar

Place Chex mix in a large bowl and set aside.  In a pot over low heat melt butter, chocolate chips and peanut butter until you have a creamy mix. Pour of Chex Cereal and fold it in using a rubber spatula.  Then place half of the mixture in a Ziplock bag and pour in 1/2 the powdered sugar.  Seal the bag and shake. Ass more sugar to your liking.  Repeat in a second bag.  Leave both bags opened until completely cooled.  Then enjoy by the handfuls!
















Happy Feast Days!

No comments:

Post a Comment